And Iron Maiden too!! And, and, and Robbie Williams! Were this a worldwide mega-tour, there'd probably be more audience fisticuffs than a 19th Century Ellis Island. Alas, 'tis only the announcement of the Featured Artists Coalition, a collaborative effort by musicians whose art is distributed and sampled via the wonderful world of the Internets. For those to lazy to click the link, here's a brief rundown of the group's charter:
We believe that all music artistes should control their destiny because ultimately it is their art and endeavours that create the pleasure and emotion enjoyed by so many.
This means that:
• artists should retain ultimate ownership of their music
• all agreements should be fairly conducted and transparently accounted
• rights’ holders should have a fiduciary duty of care to the originator of those rights and must always explain how any agreement may affect how their work is exploited.
This will be achieved by:
• changing artists’ approach to agreements
• changing the recorded music and technology companies’ treatment of artist rights and incomes
• up-dating laws to reflect the new music landscape.
So we will campaign for laws, regulations, business practices and policies that protect artists’ rights.
We will stand up for all artists by engaging with government, music and technology companies, and collection societies. We will argue for fair play and will expose unfair practices.
In short, they're all pissed. At you.
Tip for End Hits?
Email them here.
Get the best of the Mercury each week in your inbox!